We went to the doctor yesterday for our weekly check-up. Last week (36 weeks) the doctor felt my abdomen and pointed right above my pelvis, saying "Her head is right here. She's in the perfect position for delivery!"
It wasn't any surprise to us. Doctors and ultrasound techs have been commenting since week 20 at how impressed they are at your perfect position. Nobody thought you'd be giving us any issues.
Sigh.
Yesterday, the doctor nearly gave me a heart attack when it took her significantly longer to find your heartbeat. I was so scared as she searched around my abdomen with the wand. I nearly cried right on the table (it didn't help that I really haven't been getting much sleep this week...baby girl, you're exhausting me!)
When she finally found your heartbeat, she said, "Hmm...it wasn't where I was expecting it to be. I think your baby might have moved." She brought in this dinosaur of an ultrasound machine (apparently, they only use it for emergencies) and started scanning under my ribs. Sure enough, she found your head tucked right under the right side of my rib cage. As she scanned across the top of my abdomen, all that we could see on the screen was your spine. And then when she got to the left side of my ribs, there were your feet.
Oh you. My heart sank.
Not only are you not in the perfect position anymore, you're in just the position that makes it impossible to deliver you naturally. Kayleigh!
As Doctor Rose looked at the screen, she said, "Well, we should schedule a cesarean for two weeks from now." Dad and I looked at each other. We had already discussed together how much we wanted to avoid a c-section. We asked if there was anything we could do to get you to turn so that we wouldn't have to do surgery (Aunt Laura was a breech baby, and Gramma actually got her to turn around by doing somersaults in a pool!)
Dr. Rose told us about a medical procedure called a version where doctors manipulate the baby's position from the outside. She told us that if we didn't want a c-section, that this was our best bet. She set up an appointment for us for the next day, and told us to prepare everything to bring home our baby, just in case. "There is a risk of rupturing the placenta during the procedure, or causing too much trauma to the baby and needing to do an emergency c-section," She explained. That sounded scary.
As I drove to work straight after my appointment, I started to cry. I called my mom's cellphone, knowing that she would encourage me and pray with me. Her phone was off and went straight to voicemail. I got ridiculously panicky (sleep deprivation+pregnancy hormones+scary doctor appointment=a messy me) and nearly hyperventilated on the 10 freeway. I tried Grammy and Papa's home phone, and when Grammy picked up, I burst into tears of relief.
"Beth--Bethany? Are you ok? What's wrong?" Grammy's voice showed concern as I cried and cried.
"I'm--o--o--k!" I gasped out between sobs. "I don't--want--to--scare--you!" I knew I needed to tell her that everything was ok, because the way that I was sounding over the phone was enough to put any mother into a panic. Finally, I calmed down and was able to tell Grammy the whole story. I felt really bad for scaring her like that, and was thankful for the peace she shared with me and the way she prayed over the phone for us.
After I hung up with Grammy, I called Dad (who was on his way to work, too) and told him I didn't feel good about the procedure. He agreed. It was all too fast, and we didn't have enough information about anything to make us feel comfortable with it. I was so thankful when he told me he would call the hospital and cancel for tomorrow. What a relief!
As much as I don't want a c-section, I would rather have a planned c-section than do a procedure that could result in an emergency c-section anyway. So, we'll see. We are all praying that you'll flip back on your own. God can do anything--and we're trusting in Him.
When I got home from work yesterday, I updated my facebook status to say "36 weeks=head down, ready to go. 37 weeks= transverse baby? Oh, Kayleigh, noooo!" People were so encouraging with their "Don't worry! She'll turn!" comments, but my favorite came from my mom:
"As I told you yesterday, she's just snuggling close to your heart, then when she's reassured that all is well, she'll go back down. Some girls just need to feel Mommy's love every once in a while. Keeping my cell phone by me at all times - just for you!"
I hope that I can be half the wonderful encouragement to you that she is to me.
You are loved!
Love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment