Sunday, September 25, 2011

Heartbeat

Dear Kayleigh,

I stayed home from church this morning. Dad and I are heading to the hospital around midnight tonight, and after our sleepless night on Friday, you and I need all the rest we can get today.

I've been dozing on the couch on and off since Dad left. You've been pretty peaceful this morning, too. Every once in a while, you stir, and I put my hand on my tummy where I can see the rise of your body, and I cherish having you inside of me. Not for long, Baby Girl!

I'm amazed right now, though, because the way you are positioned, I can feel your heartbeat! What an incredible thing! Daddy and I have heard your heartbeat so many times at the doctor's office, but I never really imagined that I would be able to feel your heartbeat with my hand while you're inside of me. There it is, though, a tiny but strong little beat.

I love listening to your daddy's heartbeat. It's one of the most soothing things in the world to me. We've always laughed about the difference between our pulses. Mine is so faint that sometimes I can't feel it even when I look for it. Dad's is so strong that you can feel it resonate through your body when he hugs you. I love curling up next to him and placing my head on his chest. I can't sit like that, though, when we watch movies, because I can't hear the dialogue over his heart!

I love thinking about the comfort you will feel when you're held by him. He's such an amazing daddy already...I can't wait to see the peace on your face as you sleep in his arms this week.

The changes our little family is going through are amazing us! Dad and I keep saying to each other "Hey, guess what? Tomorrow, we're having a baby!" It doesn't even seem real. How can it be that for 9 months, I've carried you inside of me...but I can hardly believe that we'll actually be meeting you within hours?

Tomorrow, we'll be watching your heart on the fetal monitor...and the next day, I'll be holding you in my arms with your heart beating against mine.

We are so excited, Sweet Kayleigh Grace. So blessed and joyful. Our little girl is coming home.

Love, Mom

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I am in tears over here, so excited for you!!!!! Can't wait for her! Sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're holding her in your arms by now! You've been in my prayers today.

    ReplyDelete