Friday, May 6, 2011

Letter from Aunt Laura

Our Little Brubaby,

I’m sure that you’ll never be in doubt about the fact that you might just be the most loved baby in the world. At least, I surely hope that you’ll never doubt that. Your parents are just about the proudest I’ve seen, and your aunts and uncle and I have spent quite a bit of time talking about you: your name, your personality, your hobbies, your allergies (which I, for one, hope won’t be many.)… The list goes on. You’re 16 weeks old and already the popular one.

It’s so exciting to me to watch your mom when she talks about you. She was born to be a mommy – I always said so, right from the beginning. Your mommy was only six years old when I was born, and she reminds me (often) about the fact that she used to change my diapers. Being her sister, I was never too keen on the idea of having more than one mother, so I’m afraid I was never very good about being her “baby doll”. But I have since learned that your mom was only taking care of me because she loved me so much – and I can only imagine how much she loves you! Your dad, too, is so much fun to watch when the conversation turns to you. He is so proud of you. I hope that you will always know how much they really love you – it’s not just something that parents say. This kind of love is something special. It’s something that we all feel for you, and for each other. It’s the kind of love that is always there, no matter what. I’m so glad that you get to join our lovely, loving family. You will be a wonderful addition!

I love thinking about the places that your parents, your aunts, your uncle, your grandparents, and I will get to take you. But even more than that, I love thinking about the places that you will go on your own. It’s a beautiful world out there, Brubaby, and there’s such a lot of it to see. I wonder if you will be the sort who finds adventure and beauty at home, or if you’ll be filled with a wanderlust all your life that can only be fulfilled by traveling. Ideally, maybe you will be both. It is a beautiful world out there, but the older I get and the more places I see, the more I realize that there is beauty everywhere – even at home. So if you are like me, and you grow up just itching to jump on the next bus, train, plane or ship, I hope that you do. (With your parents’ permission, of course.) But I hope that, if you do, you will also realize that discovery doesn’t really depend on where you go. Traveling is nice, but it isn’t essential. A French fellow once said, “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”

It is so exciting to think about all of the landscapes that your new eyes will be seeing soon. And I want to challenge you, straight from the beginning, to always try to view your world through those new eyes. There is so much to see, and to learn, and to do, and to love, if you just remember to keep looking.

I can’t wait to meet you! I look forward to being a part of your life, and to having you be a part of mine.

Lots and lots of love,

Aunt Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment