Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Friendship

Dear Kayleigh,

Today, I'm thinking about how much I'm going to love cultivating a friendship with you. Not the "I-want-to-be-your-best-friend, not-your-mom" kind of friendship that so many parents fall into, but a companionship built on love and respect--the kind that I share with my mom.

I love that I can talk to my mom about anything. I love that she listens to me, and that now that I'm grown up and a woman of my own, she trusts and respects me. I love that she seeks advice from me at times, and truly wants to know my thoughts. I love the independence that she's given me--and the fact that I know that she will always be there for me when I need her.

I hope that you and I can have the same bond.

This morning on the way to work, I cried to my mom about the "unknowns" in my life. Your due date is 10 weeks away, and we don't know if there are job changes in the immediate future, or even what home we will be bringing you to from the hospital. It's a lot to have up in the air when we want to give you the most secure, stable life we can! Mom was such a comfort to me this morning. I had to hang up with her when I pulled up to work, but when I got inside, there was a text message from her with a portion of Psalm 84:

How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord!
Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for her young.
Blessed is he who trusts in You!

I'm thankful for a mom who reminds me of my Heavenly Father's love for me, and always points me to Him. Today made me realize how much I want to be like that for you.

I pray that you and I will share a close relationship like I share with my mom, and she shares with hers. I love thinking about enjoying cups of tea in the early mornings with you when the rest of the house is still asleep...finding cute little cafes for "dates" with just the two of us...long walks with heartfelt conversations...evenings spent together working on new projects...experimenting with new recipes in the kitchen...

As much as I love sharing moments with you right now, when you make me laugh with your little acrobatics or swoon when I see a picture of your chubby little cheeks, I'm looking forward to sharing the years ahead with you. What wonderful things we have waiting for us!

You are being born into a legacy of amazing women, Kayleigh Girl. Your Grandma, YiaYia, Great Gramma, and Ami are all incredible women who have lent so much support to me. They are thrilled for the opportunity to get to be there for you, too. I'm so happy to know that you will get to grow up with their listening ears and loving hearts.

Keep growing, Little One. Always. Not just now--all your life: grow in compassion, grace, and knowledge of your Father's love for you. That's my prayer for you today.

I love you.

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. I'm so thankful for you, and I can't wait to share what we have with little Kayleigh. Love, Kayleigh's Grandma

    ReplyDelete