Tonight, I'm thinking about your bedtimes.
Daddy and I are going to love snuggling baby-you close and holding you as you fall asleep.
And we're going to love singing songs and reading bedtime stories to bigger-you, too.
And we will always, always tell you that we love you. That's what I want floating above your head as you fall asleep.
I'm thinking about bedtime right now because I talked with my preschoolers about it today.
Some of their mommies and daddies don't say "I love you," before closing the door at night. Some of them don't read stories. Some of them don't sing songs. Many of them turn on the tv and walk out.
Baby, that's never going to happen in our house. We're not going to let you rule the roost and decide your own bedtime, but you will never go to sleep without knowing you are loved.
I love thinking back to the bedtime routines my parents had for me and your aunties and uncle when we were little. Always a story, and always a special song for each of us.
We'll have lots of special songs, Little One. I'm going to have to ask your Papa to record all of the ones from my childhood that I may have forgotten, and I can tell you right now, your Daddy is chock-full of silly camp songs that I'm sure will have you giggling and dancing again instead of drifting off beneath your covers.
Oh, we're going to have so much fun with you!
The thought of warm and cuddly little you snuggled up in a blanket and smelling so good straight after a bedtime bath is filling me with happy thoughts right now. I can't wait!
Right now, I'm tucked into bed and waiting for Daddy to come home from a late-night meeting. The house is dark and quiet, and I'm thinking of you. I want to sing to you the song Papa sang to us every night as he kissed us and slipped out of the room. You'll be hearing it a lot in the future, too, Little One.
"The Lord bless thee,
And keep thee,
The Lord make His face
To shine upon thee.
And be gracious unto thee,
and be gracious unto thee.
The Lord lift up His countenance
Upon thee and give thee peace."
I love you. Good night.
~Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment